Skip to main content

Collaboration Killers: Comparison

       When I was nineteen years old, I tried out for American Idol.  Yes, I went to the Browns Stadium in Cleveland Ohio, stayed the night and the next morning I sang in front of producers of the show.  As the people were picked, they came up the stairs and sang for the whole crowd.  It was an exciting experience as we waited all day to sing in front of producers for 30 seconds and then not be chosen.  I tried out the year Carrie Underwood won, and although I did not make it past the first rounds, honestly I wasn't too upset about it.  I just wanted the experience of trying out for a singing competition.   As I left I saw people crying; they were devastated as all their dreams were crushed.  I heard some of them; they were professional grade vocalists, no doubt.  But it wasn't what the show was looking for, and so they were not chosen.  Not being chosen caused them to cry, to mourn, to have crestfallen looks.  Many people walked in with hope and expectation and walked out with disappointment and doubt. 

     Being chosen, it is a phrase that maybe haunts you as much as it has haunted me. Being chosen and comparing yourself to another to see why they were picked and not you is something as automatic as breathing for me.   I am not a competitive person by nature, but I am an obsessive comparer.  We all learn by watching, from our birth to sitting in a classroom, to watching YouTube, TV, or social media.  We see information, we watch others, and we learn many times by comparison.  Comparison and contrasting are not bad, in fact in the right context comparing and assessing are great tools to grow a craft or skill.  But when it comes to unique gifting's, calling, abilities, and identity, comparison kills.

       In regards t
o collaboration, comparison devalues and masks your abilities and unique gifting.  You see I was born with a huge mouth when I talk people listen.  I don't want people to hear and have struggled with this gifting that I thought was a curse.  Why? Because I compared myself to other women, they were quiet, shy, timid, even in their teenage years.  I was dirty, climbing trees, riding bull rides, and swinging from ropes, I LOVED adventure, but I began to try to diminish and fit in with those girls.  I found myself more worried about fitting in than I did about being who I was born to be.  You see the world needs the unique gifting and abilities you have to offer.  I now utilize my loud, fun, spirit at On Purpose Consulting group.  Erin tells me people are drawn to me because I am so different, but our whole team is different.  Erin likes to be in the background; she wants to do the work behind the scenes. Tawnya loves to encourage and be in a relationship, Gina loves business processes, Staci keeps the boundaries, and Amanda can build an event in her sleep.

     Each one of us has unique personalities that allow us to work seamlessly together.  The problem is when someone sees team members gifting as their detriment.  When you begin to see someone get attention for their unique abilities and you let that praise to someone tell you that somehow you have been cheated it steals your uniqueness.  Allowing comparison in robs you of relationship because the comparison makes you see someone as competition.  You are now competing for validation, to feed the broken place in your life called insecurity.  Insecurity stems from forgetting who you are.

   So what do we do?  How do we not compare and see people as competition? We choose.  You see many of us were broken by not being selected, and it is with that same concept that we accept others.  We choose to believe that before we were born God knit us together, he chose us, he wants us, and he desires to be in a relationship with us.  Just as we are, broken, sick, weary, worn, issue filled, Jesus died for us.  When we plant our feet that even if a man rejects us, we are chosen by God, we can give not from brokenness but whole love.  You see I don't need you to validate me, and I don't need to be told I am fantastic, anointed, set apart, loved.  I get that from Jesus.  But I can choose to give from the place of being accepted by God to those I see on a daily basis.  I decide to cheer on others who get what I want,  knowing that in his words it says: My Grace is sufficient for you. I can choose when I struggle with something to believe that 'He who has begun a good work in me will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ.' (Phil 1:6)  When I feel like I am attacked, misunderstood, labeled, compared, and persecuted I believe "Blessed are you when you are persecuted for righteousness sake."   and 'All things work together for good to them who love the Lord, and are called according to his purpose. "   These are words that I was taught as a child and words I cling to when fears, comparison, and insecurity come.

   Can I challenge you today?  Where have you allowed comparison to rob relationship?  Where is there brokenness because of insecurity in your life. You see the world needs your uniqueness, not your uniformity.  It requires your creativity and wonder, not your control and your worry.  God is calling a generation of men and women to be all hands on deck, know who they are and whose they are.  This is your wake up call my friends because the world needs you to be you.    There is a prayer I pray almost every day, and it is one I want to invite you to pray as well.  " Jesus, come into all of my broken places, my scared, places, and my hiding places.  I invite you in to heal my heart. -Amen"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Change your perspective when your circumstances don't Change

My mom had a sign in her office that was a black and white word document with this quote:  Life is 10% what happens to you 90 % how you react to it. M y mom always had reminders on her walls at work. I thought she had it together and she was so wise when I was in middle school, looking back I see now that she needed that reminder as much as I do at times. We teach every generation what they could be, but rarely ever tell them how to live well here. How do we continue to live when we have a loss that punches you in the gut every single night. A basement level fear that came true, a tough situation at work that you can't shake, and the list could go on and on. We do not know, or ever, have control over some things. I have struggled to respond rather than react.   I teach my children the endless possibilities their life offers. But also, how to live in a world that is broken, fallen, full of heartache, and pain. Many seasons in our lives are endurance seasons, so how do we build end

Moms Middle School Survival Kit

I am on the phone alot with moms of middle school girls, why? Because it is one of the most socially agressive times in a girls life. Its starts around fourth grade and by the time the hormones kick in, girls are struggling with some deep issues. Cutting, sexuality, identity, community, internal, and external pressures. I hope to help give you tools to begin the conversations with your daughters so that they can learn survival skills. These skills will help them thrive in environments where relational aggression flourishes. As your daughter grows and flourishes she can learn to survive this world a little better. Speak up and Be aware All kids struggle with big feelings, the reason why it is so hard for girls is because their feelings shared, can have a direct effect on their social life. Peer pressure for girls is being empathetic and compassionate. You don't want to stand out becuase then you won't have protection. And for many girls they crumble and diminsh who the

Surviving Middle School: Foundation laying

My children are in the most dreaded season of their lives: Middle School and High School.  It's hard, it's volatile, and it emotionally exhausting for everyone involved. Many moms struggle with middle school. One reason can be that they never dealt the pain of their middle school experience, we have moms reliving the trauma of middle school, and children trying to survive it. It can turn into a mess and our children can feel isolated and alone or disengaged. I want to help you, help them survive middle school.  I have two daughters and one is a freshman in highschool, the other is a sixth grader and I can tell you I was not prepared for girls in middle school and my eldest barely survived it.  I have moms who ask me how to survive it and this whole series is my take on what you can do to help you kids survive middle school. There are three questions I ask my girls everyday when they get in the car.  1. How was your day? 2. Who did you sit with at lunch? 3. Who is dead to us?  T