Skip to main content

Comfort, Conflict, and Contentment


So I made my eldest daughter cry this week. I picked them up from Gymnastics and when they got in the car my eldest daughter verbalized her frustrations.  "Mom Gina yelled at me tonight because I wasn't doing my turns right."  Now, I am her mother and I should have responded differently but I said: "Good I am glad because that means she is pushing you."  I felt the death glare coming from the back seat and she continued to share her frustrations with and I continued to say that it was a good thing.   The problem was she was tired, eleven, and didn't have the tools in her emotional toolbox to hear what I was saying and so we hugged I told her I loved her and she went to bed.  The next day I apologized to her and tried to again explain to her that I didn't want to see her comfortable and get stagnant.  Growth involves struggle, work, pressure, and sometimes pain.  When you are comfortable you stop growing.   We don't allow that to dull our senses or look for ways to be comfortable but we can choose a different way, a way of contentment.
We all want to be comfortable.
  It is human nature to look for comfort.  I see it in my small community when people try to leverage relationships rather than work hard.  Integrity and Character require more effort than resting connections.  People think that if they become 'yes' men or consistently focus on giving attention to a person in power it will allow them to be comfortable as they schmooze their way to the top.  Others will stay in a bad situation that they hate but they are afraid to take a step towards change and fixing the situation.  Some want to blame everyone else on why they can't move forward.  No matter the reason we all look for ways to stay in known places. We want comfortable and so we will sabotage ourselves, sell ourselves, and trade whatever we need to in order to stay comfortable.
We all want to avoid conflict
I am probably the only person that goes straight into conflict and while it is uncomfortable I continue to press into it.  Why? Because many times we want to maintain our known situations that are killing us if it isn't assessed, diagnosed, and treated you can never get better.  Many people shy away from conflict for various reasons.   To address the problem, they will try to treat symptoms.  At times this means demonizing people that disagree with you, talking over other people, being passive-aggressive, avoiding those that make you uncomfortable and giving excuses on why you can't move forward.  Again it has to do with staying comfortable.  There is a saying that I heard by John Maxwell: you will change when it because too painful to stay the same.  Conflict is the greatest catalyst to change and while we shouldn't go looking for the conflict we must be willing to embrace the discomfort so that on the other side we can bring change to our situation and maybe the situation of others.
We need to embrace contentment
Paul says I have learned to be content in all situations, he says this and I think there is something to be said for learning how to be content.  Contentment doesn't just happen, it is a fruit of a mindset.  Both conflict and comfort have to do with us, our feelings, and our reactions.  We want the fruit of comfort so we avoid conflict, and we keep trying anything we can to stay comfortable.  So Paul says this: in Philliapians 4:10-14 10 I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that once again you renewed your care for me. You were, in fact, concerned about me but lacked the opportunity to show it. 11 I don’t say this out of need, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. 12 I know both how to have a little, and I know how to have a lot. In any and all circumstances I have learned the secret of being content—whether well fed or hungry, whether in abundance or in need. 13 I am able to do all things through Him[b] who strengthens me.
So here is the secret to contentment, it is trusting that God is with you and is strengthening you in the middle of everything.  When we choose to look up rather than around at our circumstances, well we see Christ, we see a different view. Many times it isn't a lack of opportunity to change our lives it is a lack of faith and our mindset isn't set on being content that I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. When we don't strive for ourselves but allow the Lord to lead us we are confident through Christ.  We know that whatever comes our way we can do and go through.  
 Maybe you are in the middle of a messy situation and fear is tangible.  You are tired and frustrated and do not have the tools in your emotional toolbox to move forward.  Can I encourage you today to look up at who Christ is, know that like Paul you can do all things through Christ who strengthens you?  What is strengthening you right now?  Is it comfort, conflict, or contentment? 

Challenge: Are you reacting to your present circumstances?  Are you running from your current circumstances?  Are you trusting God in the middle of your circumstance?  How can you choose contentment today?  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51AJtsUVKFA

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Change your perspective when your circumstances don't Change

My mom had a sign in her office that was a black and white word document with this quote:  Life is 10% what happens to you 90 % how you react to it. M y mom always had reminders on her walls at work. I thought she had it together and she was so wise when I was in middle school, looking back I see now that she needed that reminder as much as I do at times. We teach every generation what they could be, but rarely ever tell them how to live well here. How do we continue to live when we have a loss that punches you in the gut every single night. A basement level fear that came true, a tough situation at work that you can't shake, and the list could go on and on. We do not know, or ever, have control over some things. I have struggled to respond rather than react.   I teach my children the endless possibilities their life offers. But also, how to live in a world that is broken, fallen, full of heartache, and pain. Many seasons in our lives are endurance seasons, so how do we build end

Surviving Middle School: Foundation laying

My children are in the most dreaded season of their lives: Middle School and High School.  It's hard, it's volatile, and it emotionally exhausting for everyone involved. Many moms struggle with middle school. One reason can be that they never dealt the pain of their middle school experience, we have moms reliving the trauma of middle school, and children trying to survive it. It can turn into a mess and our children can feel isolated and alone or disengaged. I want to help you, help them survive middle school.  I have two daughters and one is a freshman in highschool, the other is a sixth grader and I can tell you I was not prepared for girls in middle school and my eldest barely survived it.  I have moms who ask me how to survive it and this whole series is my take on what you can do to help you kids survive middle school. There are three questions I ask my girls everyday when they get in the car.  1. How was your day? 2. Who did you sit with at lunch? 3. Who is dead to us?  T

Moms Middle School Survival Kit

I am on the phone alot with moms of middle school girls, why? Because it is one of the most socially agressive times in a girls life. Its starts around fourth grade and by the time the hormones kick in, girls are struggling with some deep issues. Cutting, sexuality, identity, community, internal, and external pressures. I hope to help give you tools to begin the conversations with your daughters so that they can learn survival skills. These skills will help them thrive in environments where relational aggression flourishes. As your daughter grows and flourishes she can learn to survive this world a little better. Speak up and Be aware All kids struggle with big feelings, the reason why it is so hard for girls is because their feelings shared, can have a direct effect on their social life. Peer pressure for girls is being empathetic and compassionate. You don't want to stand out becuase then you won't have protection. And for many girls they crumble and diminsh who the