Skip to main content

Sitting down with Phil: It's not a Competition!!

Image result for Compliment don't competeI love the banner of our Propel Women Chapter, we compliment we don't compete.  This is something that I get tired of seeing in Christian communities men and women are both guilty of it.  We count things and then place numerical value on them because somehow this will make us better than someone else or something else.  I think as Christians who are growing towards maturity we have to be very careful what we count or what we consider makes us different unique and gifted.  I hate seeing people say, post and come against others in the church.  We as a body have an auto immune response and we get confused and try to kill each other.  Why? Because we think its a competition and its our job to win.  I was the worst, I can argue with anyone in doctrine, in life, in approach, and in thought.  I pray everyday, I can and have spent hours praying for hours, crying out.  I can say my books of the Bible in thirty seconds, rattle off scripture, be able to tell you all about it, and be comfortable in leading someone to Jesus.  I am a fourth generation preachers kid, birthed, three days old and then dedicated in church.  I spent more of my childhood in church, praying for people, I talked to my first person about Jesus when I was six sitting across from them in the school cafeteria.  So here is the question. Does this make me 'better' than others or more righteous, that's a big old NO!   Why?  Because I know that God has had to pull out of me a know it all attitude, argumentative spirit, self righteous attitude, a hard heart full of bitterness, hurt and unforgiveness.   I see who I am not by what I do but whose I am.  I know whose I am but I know how all of 'my'  accomplishments are seriously filthy rags in comparison to who Jesus was.  So lets dive into the scripture we are in Philippians 3!

Protection 
So Paul starts with "This is no trouble for me and is a PROTECTION for you"  Umm okay?  What does he mean a 'protection'  well He says in verse 2 Watch out for 'dogs', watch out for evil workers, watch out for those who mutilate the Flesh.   (Confused face)  But Paul I like dogs!!!  What he means here is there are those who are not for the gospel,  Jesus talks about the parable of the sower and how the weeds and the grain grew together, in the same way not everyone is following Jesus.  Those who practiced a Jesus  "plus"   religion, the preach about their achievements, how yes Jesus is the way but you have to do all these other They don't sit in that place and so it sends them down the road of competition, trying to find ways to look better.  I have been down the road of competition and I can tell you its exhausting and so dangerous to your spirit, you walk and your call.  Many great people have fallen to this and it has destroyed relationships, people, and ultimately them.  Paul says in verse 7 after telling how 'great' his resume was But everything that was a gain to me, I have considered to be a loss because of Christ.  When you let go of competition and striving you see how silly all those things were.  Are you counting the wrong things?  Are you more excited about doing what God wants you to do or about people thinking you are amazing?  You see Paul was protecting the Philippians from pride, shame, and fear, because when you have a spirit of Jesus "plus"  doctrine that is what you are inviting in.  

Knowing the Goal 
Paul goes on in my favorite portion verse 8 he says: More than that I have considered everything to be a loss in the view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord.  Because of Him I have suffered the loss of all things and considered them filth, so that I may gain Christs and be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own from the law, but one that is through faith in Christ- the righteousness from God based on faith.  My goal is to know Him and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings.  For me personally I have stood on a platform in front of people many times, speaking and singing, but that didn't hold me in my worst moments when my world fell apart.  You know what did?  Knowing Jesus, knowing that God was holding me together, teaching me endurance, showing me what really mattered.  The goal as a christian has to be Jesus, always lifting up the name of Jesus, growing, learning, persevering in trials being a beacon to others.  I know my goal is to know him and hear "well done good and faithful servant."  Its not a stage, its not status, its not hearing people tell me how great I am, its Jesus.  Pure and Simple. 

Maturity
It is time for the body of believers to mature, to let go of the insecurities, the hurts, the unforgiveness, and everything else that is clogging the body of Christ from becoming the pure bride.  Paul says my favorite scripture in Philippians in verse 13:  Brothers, I do not consider myself to have taken hold of it.  But one thing I do: forgetting what is behind and reaching forward to what is ahead.  I pursue as my goal the prize promised by God's heavenly call in Christ Jesus.   I love this!  maturity is moving FORWARD and FORGETTING what is behind.  Oh how the body of believers would grow if we could let go of what was said and done to us.  If we could love with true Christ love, not holding back but pushing forward.  My goal is to keep moving towards Jesus, to see my community changed, to see the captives free, depression and anxiety to take a hike, and to see brothers and sisters in full UNITY and COMPLIMENTING each other instead of counting their filthy rags and invalidating someone else.  

So Lets keep moving forward lets be intentional about knowing our goals and ask God to reveal any areas of pride, shame, and fear so that way they are made pure and we can be truly his!! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Change your perspective when your circumstances don't Change

My mom had a sign in her office that was a black and white word document with this quote:  Life is 10% what happens to you 90 % how you react to it. M y mom always had reminders on her walls at work. I thought she had it together and she was so wise when I was in middle school, looking back I see now that she needed that reminder as much as I do at times. We teach every generation what they could be, but rarely ever tell them how to live well here. How do we continue to live when we have a loss that punches you in the gut every single night. A basement level fear that came true, a tough situation at work that you can't shake, and the list could go on and on. We do not know, or ever, have control over some things. I have struggled to respond rather than react.   I teach my children the endless possibilities their life offers. But also, how to live in a world that is broken, fallen, full of heartache, and pain. Many seasons in our lives are endurance seasons, so how do we build end

Surviving Middle School: Foundation laying

My children are in the most dreaded season of their lives: Middle School and High School.  It's hard, it's volatile, and it emotionally exhausting for everyone involved. Many moms struggle with middle school. One reason can be that they never dealt the pain of their middle school experience, we have moms reliving the trauma of middle school, and children trying to survive it. It can turn into a mess and our children can feel isolated and alone or disengaged. I want to help you, help them survive middle school.  I have two daughters and one is a freshman in highschool, the other is a sixth grader and I can tell you I was not prepared for girls in middle school and my eldest barely survived it.  I have moms who ask me how to survive it and this whole series is my take on what you can do to help you kids survive middle school. There are three questions I ask my girls everyday when they get in the car.  1. How was your day? 2. Who did you sit with at lunch? 3. Who is dead to us?  T

Moms Middle School Survival Kit

I am on the phone alot with moms of middle school girls, why? Because it is one of the most socially agressive times in a girls life. Its starts around fourth grade and by the time the hormones kick in, girls are struggling with some deep issues. Cutting, sexuality, identity, community, internal, and external pressures. I hope to help give you tools to begin the conversations with your daughters so that they can learn survival skills. These skills will help them thrive in environments where relational aggression flourishes. As your daughter grows and flourishes she can learn to survive this world a little better. Speak up and Be aware All kids struggle with big feelings, the reason why it is so hard for girls is because their feelings shared, can have a direct effect on their social life. Peer pressure for girls is being empathetic and compassionate. You don't want to stand out becuase then you won't have protection. And for many girls they crumble and diminsh who the