Skip to main content

Process of Growing

When I was twenty seven I had a "I surrender all moment."  I was driving in a car and God was speaking and I was listening.  "Are you going to step into the call?"  I didn't want to be a preacher, I didn't want to speak.  Singing for me was easier, I loved to worship, I was good at singing but God wanted me to speak.  I defined those boundaries. "I will do kids ministry, I will do teen ministry, but PLEASE do not make me talk to adults they are dumb."  Yes these are the conversations me and God have.  I finally told him "Okay, you win I surrender everything to you."  And then in the next five minutes speaking engagements flourished.... NOT!  He spent four years pulling up past hurts, lack of faith, and I was like "seriously when am I going to speak."  I was focused on the product, God was waiting on my permission to start working on the process.

You see I live in farm county, there are fields all around and one thing I know is planting seasons and prepping for it.  Some years they have everything already planted, but years like this year, they are just now starting to till the ground and get the ground ready.  They till and fertilize first before they ever plant, the picture I have here is actually taken on my way to pick up my girls.  I stopped off because the day before the ground was growing grass and was flat land.  Today it was mixed up and made in rows, to the naked eye though it looks like mud.  It looks a mess, and God placed in my spirit the process of growing for someone and I want to spend some time just focusing on it.  

Releasing the soil
I see us as the land and God as the farmer.  The farmer first has to own the land before he can do anything with it.   God can't do anything with you until you know he owns you, now in today's society we like easy, and free and we don't like anyone telling us what to do.  When we have our surrender moment we are giving God permission to change up the landscape so he can grow what He wants in us.  The grass was growing in the Field the day before but the land was not ready to plant.  The land was not barren, it was able to produce growth, but it wasn't producing what the farmer wanted.  Some of us are frustrated about God not moving or growing in us, but we still refuse to allow him to rip up and fertilize the ground.  We don't want to let go of what we have grown, it took us all winter to grow grass! I wanted it my way and he used some pretty similar people in my path to rip up stuff in me.  

Tilling the soil 
To the ground it may feel like the earth is moving, and the grass is getting displaced and ripped out.  If you would walk though that field today it would be muddy and messy.  That is the season some of us are in.  God has ripped up relationships, dreams, expectations, people, and even stuff.  We are loosing something and we don't understand what we did so wrong that God would allow us to loose.  We said 'yes' and then he took?  Seriously?!  The better question is:  Were you saying yes to the product, because it seems cool and no to the process?"  You see one thing that looks awesome.  I have grown up in church my whole life and I have seen many people want to be pastors or speakers and then tap out because it cost too much.  The product looks cool but there is a refining process that we have to go through.  God spent four years pulling up insecurities, hurts, rejection, gossip and a lot of other things to get my soil ready to be planted.  My ground spiritually was rocky, and I had allowed a lot of weeds to grow, he had to clear the land and then rip up the soil. What is God trying to rip up in your life?  

Fertilizing it 
I used to say "In order to grow you have to have a whole lot of crap dumped on it. And I have had a whole lot of crap placed on me."  This is what we feel like, when we get overlooked, when we are ignored, gossip ed about, and we feel like everything is coming against us.  God is fertilizing you to help grow what he is placing in you.  You see I can't speak into broken people without sharing my own story.  People don't care that I look perfect on the outside they care about my loving savior.  They care about what God has done and how he has worked.  ALL of the trials I have gone through have helped grow good plants in my life which are now bearing fruit.  
So let me ask you, where are you in the process, what is God doing in you and with you?  Understand he has to rip up before he can plant.  I love you all and I hope this helps. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Change your perspective when your circumstances don't Change

My mom had a sign in her office that was a black and white word document with this quote:  Life is 10% what happens to you 90 % how you react to it. M y mom always had reminders on her walls at work. I thought she had it together and she was so wise when I was in middle school, looking back I see now that she needed that reminder as much as I do at times. We teach every generation what they could be, but rarely ever tell them how to live well here. How do we continue to live when we have a loss that punches you in the gut every single night. A basement level fear that came true, a tough situation at work that you can't shake, and the list could go on and on. We do not know, or ever, have control over some things. I have struggled to respond rather than react.   I teach my children the endless possibilities their life offers. But also, how to live in a world that is broken, fallen, full of heartache, and pain. Many seasons in our lives are endurance seasons, so how do we build end

Moms Middle School Survival Kit

I am on the phone alot with moms of middle school girls, why? Because it is one of the most socially agressive times in a girls life. Its starts around fourth grade and by the time the hormones kick in, girls are struggling with some deep issues. Cutting, sexuality, identity, community, internal, and external pressures. I hope to help give you tools to begin the conversations with your daughters so that they can learn survival skills. These skills will help them thrive in environments where relational aggression flourishes. As your daughter grows and flourishes she can learn to survive this world a little better. Speak up and Be aware All kids struggle with big feelings, the reason why it is so hard for girls is because their feelings shared, can have a direct effect on their social life. Peer pressure for girls is being empathetic and compassionate. You don't want to stand out becuase then you won't have protection. And for many girls they crumble and diminsh who the

Surviving Middle School: Foundation laying

My children are in the most dreaded season of their lives: Middle School and High School.  It's hard, it's volatile, and it emotionally exhausting for everyone involved. Many moms struggle with middle school. One reason can be that they never dealt the pain of their middle school experience, we have moms reliving the trauma of middle school, and children trying to survive it. It can turn into a mess and our children can feel isolated and alone or disengaged. I want to help you, help them survive middle school.  I have two daughters and one is a freshman in highschool, the other is a sixth grader and I can tell you I was not prepared for girls in middle school and my eldest barely survived it.  I have moms who ask me how to survive it and this whole series is my take on what you can do to help you kids survive middle school. There are three questions I ask my girls everyday when they get in the car.  1. How was your day? 2. Who did you sit with at lunch? 3. Who is dead to us?  T