Skip to main content

Without Rival: A book review

     
  In November of last year I sat on my couch, completely and utterly done.  I was done doing things my way and completely in tune with the Holy Spirit.  I began to write down the longing of my heart.  God asked me the question: What kind of women do you think the church needs.  It was from this place I wrote down to God the Tuscarawas Propel Connect core values.  I told Him:  I want to see a  group of women that compliment instead of compete, that believe that the body of Christ is unified but not uniform, that naturally lead others back to Jesus, and understand that we are inclusive not exclusive.  One thing I know is when God speaks he doesn't just speak to one person He speaks to many.  
    So it is not surprising that the body of Christ is seeing this theme come forth through some pretty amazing and powerful men and women of God.  Lisa Bevere has come out with a new book and I have to tell you it it is pretty life changing to many women in the body of Christ. Although I cannot hit on every single chapter I would like to spend a little time sharing the nuggets that spoke to my spirit.   


An Identity without Rival:  

I love how in this book she says God spoke to her "I don't love my children equally, I love them uniquely." This hits home with me with three very unique children I really don't love them equally I love them uniquely.  I love Caitlyn instantly when she was born, there was a bond there that nothing could replace.  It was so overwhelmingly strong, she was smart and advanced, she listened to the rules, and I love seeing every stage of her life.  She is kind, she thinks through her statements, and she loves to have fun and be a big personality. She melts my heart and I love her.   But here is the reality, she is the polar opposite of Kiki, my youngest.  Kiki is sassy, she is funny, she is creative and wild, speaks her mind and has a bold fierce spirit.  I love everything about her, she sees the world very different from her sister and they both bring such joy and life to my husband and myself.  Their skin tones are different their hair colors are different and they both came from my husband and I.  Lisa challenges the idea that God's love is measureable and that is incomparable or without rival.  Comparison cheats my daughters of being wholly who they are.  My daughters are very secure in who they belong to, they know their parents love them for who they are and that allows them to thrive.  

A Promise without Rival 

Lisa hits really hard on a promise without rival, she actually really made me really think about Abraham and Sarah in such a different way.  I never really looked at Sara as trading her promise and not waiting. I love how she says a lot can happen in a year, I like Sara was hiding and laughed when God said "I have called you to women's minsitry."  I hated women, especially church women, they didn't seem to graduate from highschool, and so when God said to start to work with them I laughed and hid. Then when I started to push towards that ministry I was overlooked, ignored, and rejected "I am too mean, I am not sweet, I am too intense." I wasn't encouraged and so because man wasn't for me I didn't have enough faith to know that "If God is for me WHO can be against me."  In a year I am now running a thriving women's outreach through Propel Women, and I love the baby God gave me.  I cried as I read Lisa's words as she gave written words to the pain of my life I wanted to shut out, that I laughed at because my heart had been broken in a million pieces, so she spoke very clearly to that area of my life.  

Don't You Dare Compare

Lisa gives a very clear and real story of her own struggle with comparison.  THIS IS SO REFRESHING!  To see a leader be very real with her very real struggle and what God spoke to her.  She says "Anything you do that feeds rivalry will corrupt your strength. Lisa is has three C's from 2 Cor 10:12 "Don't you dare classify or compare ourselves with some of those who are commending themselves. Everything I think every women has done, and every person struggles with.  The WISE do not Classify, the BRAVE do not Compare, and do not commend ourselves.  God has a unique calling a role for all of us to play, and when we compare we loose our season, we trade it in to be like someone elses, and it is always mass produced and fake.  

When Your Seen as a Rival 

I will end with this chapter, it is the one I have always struggled with.  I don't know about you but I am seen as a threat by someone no matter where I go.  It doesn't matter if it is a church member or the pastor's wife, I have been someone's rival.  I have been slandered, hurt, talked about and broken in a million pieces. There was a year in my life that everything came against me and I honestly thought I couldn't make it.  I felt I was being killed my wilderness season, and yet this year was the greatest change agent of my life.  Lisa gives encouragement even with the rivals in our lives.  It hurts as Lisa says "Rivals force you to guard your heart.  

Conclusion 

I could seriously go on and on, but here is what you need to know.  Without Rival is real, down to earth, honest, and though provoking.  It allows you to really dive in and dig into this theory of being the best you, you can be.  You can purchase her book now and follow the links below.  I hope you enjoyed the book review I am anxiously awaiting my hard copy so I can read it again!! Get the first two chapters free here at: http://withoutrival.com/  

http://messengerinternational.org/store/without-rival

https://www.amazon.com/Without-Rival-Identity-Confusion-Comparison/dp/080072724X

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Change your perspective when your circumstances don't Change

My mom had a sign in her office that was a black and white word document with this quote:  Life is 10% what happens to you 90 % how you react to it. M y mom always had reminders on her walls at work. I thought she had it together and she was so wise when I was in middle school, looking back I see now that she needed that reminder as much as I do at times. We teach every generation what they could be, but rarely ever tell them how to live well here. How do we continue to live when we have a loss that punches you in the gut every single night. A basement level fear that came true, a tough situation at work that you can't shake, and the list could go on and on. We do not know, or ever, have control over some things. I have struggled to respond rather than react.   I teach my children the endless possibilities their life offers. But also, how to live in a world that is broken, fallen, full of heartache, and pain. Many seasons in our lives are endurance seasons, so how do we build end

Moms Middle School Survival Kit

I am on the phone alot with moms of middle school girls, why? Because it is one of the most socially agressive times in a girls life. Its starts around fourth grade and by the time the hormones kick in, girls are struggling with some deep issues. Cutting, sexuality, identity, community, internal, and external pressures. I hope to help give you tools to begin the conversations with your daughters so that they can learn survival skills. These skills will help them thrive in environments where relational aggression flourishes. As your daughter grows and flourishes she can learn to survive this world a little better. Speak up and Be aware All kids struggle with big feelings, the reason why it is so hard for girls is because their feelings shared, can have a direct effect on their social life. Peer pressure for girls is being empathetic and compassionate. You don't want to stand out becuase then you won't have protection. And for many girls they crumble and diminsh who the

Surviving Middle School: Foundation laying

My children are in the most dreaded season of their lives: Middle School and High School.  It's hard, it's volatile, and it emotionally exhausting for everyone involved. Many moms struggle with middle school. One reason can be that they never dealt the pain of their middle school experience, we have moms reliving the trauma of middle school, and children trying to survive it. It can turn into a mess and our children can feel isolated and alone or disengaged. I want to help you, help them survive middle school.  I have two daughters and one is a freshman in highschool, the other is a sixth grader and I can tell you I was not prepared for girls in middle school and my eldest barely survived it.  I have moms who ask me how to survive it and this whole series is my take on what you can do to help you kids survive middle school. There are three questions I ask my girls everyday when they get in the car.  1. How was your day? 2. Who did you sit with at lunch? 3. Who is dead to us?  T