Skip to main content

Hi my name is Cassie I am a Chronic People Pleaser


Chronic People Pleaser related to post anxiety disapproval disorder.

So I like variety, I love hanging out with different people and I hear a lot of really cool ideas, environments and events happening all around me.  It is easy to becomee overwhelmed in my schedule if I say yes to everything around me.  There are some amazingly cool things, but they are not God’s for my life .  Now I know this, its easy to type, but wow is it hard to do.  I don’t like saying no and I blame my mother, (I gotta blame someone)  “Did you just say no to me?”  or “Excuse me I brought you into this world and I can take you out.”  Now my mother is 5’2 but I swear she could take a six foot seven marine down if she got mad enough.  She is a little scary, and I learned to never tell her no through sitting in the corner, or my bottom being a little red.  
Chronic People Pleaser
I am a nurse and although I don’t ever diagnose patient’s, I do diagnose myself alot and systems.  I am a chronic people please with a side of post anxiety disapproval disorder.  I don’t like to disappoint people, but I have had to learn how because it was going to kill me if I didn’t.  I was getting to a place where I was allowing peoples opinions, perspectives, and actions dictate my value and self worth.  This led to me having a panic attack (I didn’t know that’s what it was) and depression.  I passed out in the middle of a department store due to my heart rate going so fast and my blood pressure dropping to 88/48.  So I was given some medication, that I took for two weeks then decided that I had to work through not letting my value be found in others.  I  wasn’t going to medicate my issue and numb the pain, I had to work through this.  
If you can get anything from this its that you have to listen to God’s voice above all other voices.  He has a specific plan and purpose for you and if you are so busy trying to achieve and strive for someone’s approval you will die by their rejection.  Unfortunately I learned this the hard way, and although I wanted to blame them the fault is mine for giving someone other than God that much control over my life and emotions.  People are going to misunderstand you, its OK.  People are going to hate you, its OK.  People are going to be disappointed by you, its OK. People are going to gossip about you, its OK.   People are going to try to control you with their words, actions, position, or money, its OK.  You have to learn and embrace being misunderstood, trust me its not fun but there is freedom is learning to hear God’s voice above all other voices.  
So here is the medicine for you if you are struggling with this.  
  1. Accept that you struggle with this, you want others to find value in you, but this idea is wrong. Drop the lies that your value is based on others approval and pick up the truth that there is no condemnation in those who love Jesus.  
  2. Forgive  those who hurt you, its not OK,  it may never be OK, some people preach grace as a cop out for their actions.  I am not devaluing your hurt, your pain, but I am valuing what Jesus did for you can heal any man made hurt.  Also understand that some wounds didn’t get there over night and its going to take a process to get through it.  But if you are willing you will.  Then FORGIVE yourself, you are human, give yourself grace.
  3. Grieve:   People think they are supposed to get over things quickly, and working on a cancer floor I can tell you grief is an every day occurrence in my line of work. I see people go through all stages but in the same way, I had to learn and understand that I was grieving over the death of some relationships and also the death of my people pleasing mindset.  There are 5 stages that you will go through and if you don’t keep going you can get stuck in one of the stages.  
Healing is a process the best thing I can tell you is surround yourself with people who love you just as you are, imperfections and all.  They will encourage you support you and lift you up, but seek their relationship and not with those who make you exhaust you.  Healing has to start somewhere so why not here?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Change your perspective when your circumstances don't Change

My mom had a sign in her office that was a black and white word document with this quote:  Life is 10% what happens to you 90 % how you react to it. M y mom always had reminders on her walls at work. I thought she had it together and she was so wise when I was in middle school, looking back I see now that she needed that reminder as much as I do at times. We teach every generation what they could be, but rarely ever tell them how to live well here. How do we continue to live when we have a loss that punches you in the gut every single night. A basement level fear that came true, a tough situation at work that you can't shake, and the list could go on and on. We do not know, or ever, have control over some things. I have struggled to respond rather than react.   I teach my children the endless possibilities their life offers. But also, how to live in a world that is broken, fallen, full of heartache, and pain. Many seasons in our lives are endurance seasons, so how do we build end

Surviving Middle School: Foundation laying

My children are in the most dreaded season of their lives: Middle School and High School.  It's hard, it's volatile, and it emotionally exhausting for everyone involved. Many moms struggle with middle school. One reason can be that they never dealt the pain of their middle school experience, we have moms reliving the trauma of middle school, and children trying to survive it. It can turn into a mess and our children can feel isolated and alone or disengaged. I want to help you, help them survive middle school.  I have two daughters and one is a freshman in highschool, the other is a sixth grader and I can tell you I was not prepared for girls in middle school and my eldest barely survived it.  I have moms who ask me how to survive it and this whole series is my take on what you can do to help you kids survive middle school. There are three questions I ask my girls everyday when they get in the car.  1. How was your day? 2. Who did you sit with at lunch? 3. Who is dead to us?  T

Moms Middle School Survival Kit

I am on the phone alot with moms of middle school girls, why? Because it is one of the most socially agressive times in a girls life. Its starts around fourth grade and by the time the hormones kick in, girls are struggling with some deep issues. Cutting, sexuality, identity, community, internal, and external pressures. I hope to help give you tools to begin the conversations with your daughters so that they can learn survival skills. These skills will help them thrive in environments where relational aggression flourishes. As your daughter grows and flourishes she can learn to survive this world a little better. Speak up and Be aware All kids struggle with big feelings, the reason why it is so hard for girls is because their feelings shared, can have a direct effect on their social life. Peer pressure for girls is being empathetic and compassionate. You don't want to stand out becuase then you won't have protection. And for many girls they crumble and diminsh who the