Skip to main content

Gut Punch

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving Middle School: Foundation laying

My children are in the most dreaded season of their lives: Middle School and High School.  It's hard, it's volatile, and it emotionally exhausting for everyone involved. Many moms struggle with middle school. One reason can be that they never dealt the pain of their middle school experience, we have moms reliving the trauma of middle school, and children trying to survive it. It can turn into a mess and our children can feel isolated and alone or disengaged. I want to help you, help them survive middle school.  I have two daughters and one is a freshman in highschool, the other is a sixth grader and I can tell you I was not prepared for girls in middle school and my eldest barely survived it.  I have moms who ask me how to survive it and this whole series is my take on what you can do to help you kids survive middle school. There are three questions I ask my girls everyday when they get in the car.  1. How was your day? 2. Who did you sit with at lunch? 3. Who is dea...

Surviving Middle School: Social Skills

I want to talk to you about one of the hardest things your daughters will deal with.  Petty social environments.  I remember once someone was hurting my daughter socially and being a momma bear, I wanted to go into Defcon 5 mode.  I think every mom has been there, we have felt the hurt of social aggression, especially if we have daughters.   I had felt social agression when I was growing up, but it wasn't until I was in women's ministry that I heard the term social aggression.  What is Social Aggression?   Social aggression is a form of antisocial behavior ( Burt et al., 2012 ) in which social relationships and social status are used to damage reputations and inflict emotional harm on others, and centers on behaviors such as gossiping, ostracism, and threatening to end a friendship. If your a mom of girls, it sounds like every single middle school experience right?  That would be because this is the number one issue girls have....

3 Things I Have Learned While Waiting

There was a commercial that was popular by JG Wentworth.  The slogan was: It's my money, and I need it now! Typically it was a person yelling this out a window proclaiming that it was their money.   I was in the generation that computers were introduced in mass numbers in school.  The typing class was a must. We learned how to find information on the web rather than in the library.  We learned that we were smarter than our predecessors, we learned there was a faster way, and that life didn't have to be hard.  It was exciting to be a part of the dot com era, we didn't have to wait the way our parents did, we could have things instantly at our fingertips.  It gave us almost a false sense of entitlement and security that life was going to be easy.   Is it any wonder that we struggle with waiting?  I have struggled with the dissonance of where I am and where I think I should be. Add into that my belief in Christ and God's Kingdom and s...