Skip to main content

Cultivating a tribe: The woman with an issue

So I can remember my mom singing with a trio back in the day and the song started like this "A woman tried many physicians, but they could not help, so unto Jesus she came.  And when the crowd they tried to restrain her, she whispered these words through her pain.  Touching Jesus is all that really matters, than your life will never be the same.  There only one way to touch Him, just whisper these words through your pain."

Last week I talked about the women at the well, you know the one that really didn't care she was an outsider, whose life was a mess and yet when she met Jesus she was changed.  Well this week I want to talk to you about a women with an issue that she couldn't control.  A women that by her disease was made unclean and couldn't even go into the temple.  She risked everything for the hope of being healed.   You see when we look at a cultivating a tribe we need to look at the women with the issues.  I relate with this women probably more than I do with the women at the well. 

The women with the issue
 You see I was abused as a child sexually, verbally, and spiritually.  These were things that I didn't ask for, I didn't do anything to get them.  Yet they left a huge mark on my life, they were issues that separated me from Jesus, and from the call that God placed on my life.  Like the women with the issue of blood I was unclean.  I wanted to do what God called me to do, but no pastor would take me.  No one would accept me where I was and love me enough to work through where God was taking me.  I was told due to my past and personality I would never be able to submit to a pastor.  I was overlooked for promotion in the church due to my issues.  I worked hard, I was passionate, I gave everything I had: Money, time, energy, love, excitement, and although they took my resources they didn't accept me.  The women with the issue of blood gave her money to men who were skilled healers, and yet they couldn't heal her.  She tried everything in her power to get better and all it did was left her poorer and still with the issue, still unable to get healing.  I would cry just wanting someone to believe in me, because if someone could believe in me, then I somehow could have hope that this issue would not define me.  
   
The women pressed in 
   I didn't find healing by men.  The rejection I felt was real, raw, and it forced me to press in to my Savior.  I was unwanted, excluded, manipulated, considered unclean.   Yes, I had an issue, yes I was emotionally bleeding, but I decided I would keep moving forward towards Jesus.  It said in the scripture their was a crowd, and she I am sure had to push her way to him.  She had to go outside of her comfort zone, she had nothing left to loose and I am sure she was desperate to just be healed.  Ladies, I can tell you as a women with the issue, I just was desperate to be healed.  "You are accepted here, you are loved here, we believe in you."  these are words I longed to hear and I didn't hear them from man but my bible I heard God whisper "I believe in you."  From my husband who would hold me as I would cry I heard "I believe in you."  From my children I heard "Mommy is a preacher."  So I pressed into Jesus and allowed him to heal me.  

The women touched Jesus 
I heard from others "We see potential, but we just don't trust you."  but I heard from Jesus "Daughter."  I read the book Unashamed and God did a word through a women who doesn't even know me.   I read the book and God allowed me to let go of the hurt, the disappointment and the shame, and what I went through.   for who I was and what I went through.  I touched Jesus and Jesus healed me, and he is still healing me and making me whole. I am so blessed because I am surrounded by women who believe in me, who celebrate with me, and who don't define me by my issue.  You see the issue was meant to separated her from intimacy in God but what it did was caused her to press in.  

We need to be women who embrace women with issues
You see we spend a whole lot of time as women pointing out others women issues, when we should be leading women with the issues to the savior.  We should be helping hold them up as they press in to Jesus, we should be cheering them on and making a space for them to press into Jesus.  Telling them "Don't quit, Keep moving."  We should be the voices refuting the lies not agreeing with them.  Yes they are a hot mess, but who they are does not EVER trump whose they are.  We rob ourselves of being a part of their story when we choose not to embrace the women with issues.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Change your perspective when your circumstances don't Change

My mom had a sign in her office that was a black and white word document with this quote:  Life is 10% what happens to you 90 % how you react to it. M y mom always had reminders on her walls at work. I thought she had it together and she was so wise when I was in middle school, looking back I see now that she needed that reminder as much as I do at times. We teach every generation what they could be, but rarely ever tell them how to live well here. How do we continue to live when we have a loss that punches you in the gut every single night. A basement level fear that came true, a tough situation at work that you can't shake, and the list could go on and on. We do not know, or ever, have control over some things. I have struggled to respond rather than react.   I teach my children the endless possibilities their life offers. But also, how to live in a world that is broken, fallen, full of heartache, and pain. Many seasons in our lives are endurance seasons, so how do we build end

Moms Middle School Survival Kit

I am on the phone alot with moms of middle school girls, why? Because it is one of the most socially agressive times in a girls life. Its starts around fourth grade and by the time the hormones kick in, girls are struggling with some deep issues. Cutting, sexuality, identity, community, internal, and external pressures. I hope to help give you tools to begin the conversations with your daughters so that they can learn survival skills. These skills will help them thrive in environments where relational aggression flourishes. As your daughter grows and flourishes she can learn to survive this world a little better. Speak up and Be aware All kids struggle with big feelings, the reason why it is so hard for girls is because their feelings shared, can have a direct effect on their social life. Peer pressure for girls is being empathetic and compassionate. You don't want to stand out becuase then you won't have protection. And for many girls they crumble and diminsh who the

Surviving Middle School: Foundation laying

My children are in the most dreaded season of their lives: Middle School and High School.  It's hard, it's volatile, and it emotionally exhausting for everyone involved. Many moms struggle with middle school. One reason can be that they never dealt the pain of their middle school experience, we have moms reliving the trauma of middle school, and children trying to survive it. It can turn into a mess and our children can feel isolated and alone or disengaged. I want to help you, help them survive middle school.  I have two daughters and one is a freshman in highschool, the other is a sixth grader and I can tell you I was not prepared for girls in middle school and my eldest barely survived it.  I have moms who ask me how to survive it and this whole series is my take on what you can do to help you kids survive middle school. There are three questions I ask my girls everyday when they get in the car.  1. How was your day? 2. Who did you sit with at lunch? 3. Who is dead to us?  T