Skip to main content

Propel Women Nuggets: Rubber and Crystal


      I had the greatest honor to sit under some of the greatest women leaders of our time in September and with that I want to share some Propel nuggets from the conference.  I loved each speaker and I came expectant and God downloaded some amazing things into us at this Activate Event and I can tell you we are taking our local community by storm and want to see God move in such a mighty way.  Lorie Ann, who was on the Panel said something so profound "Choose to hold onto the crystal balls and let the rubber ones bounce."  
     You see too many times we let people take more space than they should.  I am not saying we don't love people, we do. But as a women the expectations we place on ourselves and the expectations that others place on us make us weary.  I have precious fragile balls I am holding "my children, my husband, my relationship with God, these are my crystal balls.  I cannot fulfill my life on a mission if I am not holding and protecting my sacred spaces. In a society of no boundaries it is so easy to allow people tell us who we are rather than listening to God say who we are.   We allow too many people in our sacred spaces and then when they hurt us we forcefully shut them out and play victim. I speak from experience as I have cycled this even though God has given me wisdom through his Holy Scripture. 

     Matthew 7: 6 says this "Don't give dogs what is sacred, do not cast your pearls before swine.  Or they will trample on them and turn and tear you to pieces."  God gave me this scripture at the tender age of 17 and this has been the hardest thing for me at times.  God gets my sacred, when I give it to others, it is like I am giving my most sacred thing to dogs.  It would be like taking a cooked meal that I slaved over and took it from my husband and gave it to a dog.  It would eat it down and look at me for more, not appreciating the gift I just gave them.   It isn't there fault it is actually mine, so at times when I am angry with someone who doesn't appreciate all that I am doing for them, it is time for me to ask?  Am I giving my sacred to God or man.  So as Mercy Lukalutu says in the Propel Session 1 Curriculum "Give clarity and definition to the vision God has given you and then guard that vision."

Give Clarity to your Sacred Spaces

   The first step is to define the crystal, that which can't be put back together easily, that which is precious.  Whether it be your family, your spiritual gifts,  your marriage, your work environment, or even your own personal safety.  Ask God to give you wisdom as to what is important for your life mission. Here is a note it is not normally what we want, our crystal balls, it is what we take for granted.  My God time is sacred, my family is sacred, my mission is sacred, when I trade these I cannot do what I am called to do and there is no overflow.   Look for you sacred spaces, fight to look for them, ask God earnestly to show you them, and then hold onto them.

         The next step is to let go of the rubber balls.  God has placed things in my hands, and when I set them down to juggle a friends expectation, a selfish ambition, or even chasing after things that don't matter, I begin to deteriorate.  That part of the scripture "Or they will trample on them and then turn and tear you to pieces"  is a very real thing to me.  People are not bad, but sometimes I make bad choices. Like when I am giving others my sacred they will eventually turn and tear me to pieces emotionally.   The hardest thing for me was to let go of what others have spoken about me, to me and over me.  A very dear friend of mine was on the phone with me and as we were working through some of my insecurities she told me "Listen to the people who know your heart, if they tell you something pay attention.  But honestly you have to shut out the naysayers, those who don't know you."   We live in a crowd driven world where we like to gossip and lynch people.  It may be your turn, but those trials you are in, as people are scorning you, mocking your intentions, and straight up trying to tear you to pieces.   Look for the relationships that stand it, the ones who are still with you.  And the other ones let it bounce.

     The third thing I would ask you to do is to create safety nets for your sacred crystal balls.  I have had to do this by making boundaries in my life, and I am learning not to apologize for them.    I need my Jesus time, I need sleep, I need relational time with my husband, I need time with my children.  When these things are healthy I can be creative, I can thrive. But, if this area of my life is under strain I fall apart and cannot think critically.   These are my sacred spaces, I am setting boundaries up that help me let go of the expectations I may place on others but also that others may place on me. I am a chronic people pleaser and so I have to guard my most fragile crystal ball I have: my emotional health.  I know how to assess, I know how to look for signs and symptoms that I am about to shatter.  Is it yelling at my husband because I am stressed about something external or snapping at my children who were just asking me a question.  Or is it that I am trying to seek something from someone that only God can give me?   You choose your options in these moments and you have the choice to pick your sacred crystal.  Ask God to help you today and to allow Him to help you let go of the rubber balls and let them bounce.


You got this!

www.tuscpropelconnect.org



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Change your perspective when your circumstances don't Change

My mom had a sign in her office that was a black and white word document with this quote:  Life is 10% what happens to you 90 % how you react to it. M y mom always had reminders on her walls at work. I thought she had it together and she was so wise when I was in middle school, looking back I see now that she needed that reminder as much as I do at times. We teach every generation what they could be, but rarely ever tell them how to live well here. How do we continue to live when we have a loss that punches you in the gut every single night. A basement level fear that came true, a tough situation at work that you can't shake, and the list could go on and on. We do not know, or ever, have control over some things. I have struggled to respond rather than react.   I teach my children the endless possibilities their life offers. But also, how to live in a world that is broken, fallen, full of heartache, and pain. Many seasons in our lives are endurance seasons, so how do we build end

Moms Middle School Survival Kit

I am on the phone alot with moms of middle school girls, why? Because it is one of the most socially agressive times in a girls life. Its starts around fourth grade and by the time the hormones kick in, girls are struggling with some deep issues. Cutting, sexuality, identity, community, internal, and external pressures. I hope to help give you tools to begin the conversations with your daughters so that they can learn survival skills. These skills will help them thrive in environments where relational aggression flourishes. As your daughter grows and flourishes she can learn to survive this world a little better. Speak up and Be aware All kids struggle with big feelings, the reason why it is so hard for girls is because their feelings shared, can have a direct effect on their social life. Peer pressure for girls is being empathetic and compassionate. You don't want to stand out becuase then you won't have protection. And for many girls they crumble and diminsh who the

Surviving Middle School: Foundation laying

My children are in the most dreaded season of their lives: Middle School and High School.  It's hard, it's volatile, and it emotionally exhausting for everyone involved. Many moms struggle with middle school. One reason can be that they never dealt the pain of their middle school experience, we have moms reliving the trauma of middle school, and children trying to survive it. It can turn into a mess and our children can feel isolated and alone or disengaged. I want to help you, help them survive middle school.  I have two daughters and one is a freshman in highschool, the other is a sixth grader and I can tell you I was not prepared for girls in middle school and my eldest barely survived it.  I have moms who ask me how to survive it and this whole series is my take on what you can do to help you kids survive middle school. There are three questions I ask my girls everyday when they get in the car.  1. How was your day? 2. Who did you sit with at lunch? 3. Who is dead to us?  T