Skip to main content

Shut your mouth its robbing you of your promise

   I have been not wanting to write this weeks blog, not gonna lie. I don't want to write it, tried to write something else, but I do believe in Gods perfect timing, and so after seeing a recurrent theme I have to say this to someone else other than me this week. God has given me a really big mouth, I am not talking about just a lot of talking but it carries sound.  People listen to me and it terrified me for a long time and as I get older I have come to terms with my really big mouth, not minimizing it or apologizing for it. But here is what I need to say to you and me.   
     
         Your mouth is robbing you.  You see I sat down at my kitchen table laid my head on my bible and sobbed, when I was a child I sat in Sunday school rooms and listened to the stories of the children of Israel in my youthful innocence I couldn't understand why they were so stupid.  Always stories of the children of Israel messing up and God sending people to save them.  I thought to myself as a child "I will never be like the children of Israel, serving other Gods, doing things wrong, sinning, leaving God."  But as I laid my head down on the Bible and cried I told God "Thank you for the Israelites, it gives me hope."  I am not gonna lie to you, there have been days in the past year alone where I wanted to quit, throw in the towel and just be done.  I don't feel good enough, I don't see any changes in my life and more days than not I sit at my kitchen table and tell God how I am so frustrated.  I am waiting in my desert and I believe he has a promise for me I just can't see it in the mess of my wait.   My tendency is to vent my frustrations to more than just God.  My husband, my friends, social media,   I get oh so frustrated and then I speak in my frustration.  "This will never happen."  "It is so unfair."  "I can't do it, I don't want to do it, or don't make me do it."  I don't want to pray for those who don't believe in me, I would rather talk about it.  I don't want to pray for God to change hearts, I would rather be hurt in mine.  I don't want to see the good in those who don't understand me, I want to ignore them.  
   Yeah, this is me being honest to you. Because the truth is it isn't talked about enough, the heart of Christ followers,  being very sick and the fact that we say the right things but in secret we struggle with the monster of jealousy, of anger, of frustration, of critical and judgment.  And it is when we speak these things we rob ourselves of Gods endurance, which ultimately gives us the results we need.   Not want but Need.  

THE CHILDREN OF ISRAEL HAD A MOUTH PROBLEM 

You see God delivered his people, he took them out of slavery, He provided for them in the desert and yet when it came time for them to put in some work into their own relationship with Him, they murmured, they complained.   You see the Bible talks about the people testing God ten times before he said "You will not enter."  Then after that they still tried to enter the Promise Land and were chased out.  Here is something I need to say again, if you are murmuring you aren't ready for God's promise for your life.   You see the people still tried to go in after the complained and even tried to stone Joshua and Caleb for standing up for what God was trying to do.  So for that they did not enter into their Promise.  They were made to wait in the desert until a new generation rose up that was willing to do what God was telling them to do.  You see you will be made to wait until a new you is ready for what God has for you.  
   Don't stop reading yet though because honestly this isn't me telling you God isn't going to let you enter into the promise he gave you.  It is to let you know that God is remaking you into the person who can handle what He has for you.  Like the children of Israel we want the promise, we want it to be easy, and we want it our way.  God wants us ready to handle the fights before us, because taking God's promise requires total focus. So if you feel like you are waiting the first thing I want to say to you is check your perspective and the words you are saying.  This will kill anything God is trying to do in you.  

THE NEXT GENERATION 

    So the Children of Israel were finally ready to enter into the Promise Land the first battle they had was with an immovable wall.   Yep the generation before would have just thrown up their hands said "It is impossible!  I wanna go back to Egypt"  but this generation looked to their leader Joshua for what they were going to do, Joshua looked to God and God gave him an order and the men followed it.  Walk around the the wall and do not speak for six days.  You see for their first battle God knew their needed to be silence and they needed to obey.  Did they feel dumb?  Probably but, they were not to say a word and be completely focused.   You see in the next season you are going into do you need to stop complaining?  Do you need to stop gossiping?  Do you need to stop speaking words of death over yourself, your family, your job, and where you are?  I think you may know this answer.  Sometimes you need to check your words up against God's promise.  He promised that ALL things would work together for good to them who love Him."   Do you not understand that His good sometimes comes in packages of hardship, battles, brokenness, and disappointment.  Quit robbing yourself and start silently walking out around those things silently until God moves. When He says speak you speak then.   Don't let yourself gossip about that coworker that rubs you the wrong way, the unfairness of a situation, the anger of a broken expectation.  God is trying to prepare you but you need to shut your mouth its robbing you of your promise. Look to Jesus as your example who knew that he was going to die as a criminal he said "Not my will but yours be done?"  Is this your prayer?     

    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Change your perspective when your circumstances don't Change

My mom had a sign in her office that was a black and white word document with this quote:  Life is 10% what happens to you 90 % how you react to it. M y mom always had reminders on her walls at work. I thought she had it together and she was so wise when I was in middle school, looking back I see now that she needed that reminder as much as I do at times. We teach every generation what they could be, but rarely ever tell them how to live well here. How do we continue to live when we have a loss that punches you in the gut every single night. A basement level fear that came true, a tough situation at work that you can't shake, and the list could go on and on. We do not know, or ever, have control over some things. I have struggled to respond rather than react.   I teach my children the endless possibilities their life offers. But also, how to live in a world that is broken, fallen, full of heartache, and pain. Many seasons in our lives are endurance seasons, so how do we build end

Moms Middle School Survival Kit

I am on the phone alot with moms of middle school girls, why? Because it is one of the most socially agressive times in a girls life. Its starts around fourth grade and by the time the hormones kick in, girls are struggling with some deep issues. Cutting, sexuality, identity, community, internal, and external pressures. I hope to help give you tools to begin the conversations with your daughters so that they can learn survival skills. These skills will help them thrive in environments where relational aggression flourishes. As your daughter grows and flourishes she can learn to survive this world a little better. Speak up and Be aware All kids struggle with big feelings, the reason why it is so hard for girls is because their feelings shared, can have a direct effect on their social life. Peer pressure for girls is being empathetic and compassionate. You don't want to stand out becuase then you won't have protection. And for many girls they crumble and diminsh who the

Surviving Middle School: Foundation laying

My children are in the most dreaded season of their lives: Middle School and High School.  It's hard, it's volatile, and it emotionally exhausting for everyone involved. Many moms struggle with middle school. One reason can be that they never dealt the pain of their middle school experience, we have moms reliving the trauma of middle school, and children trying to survive it. It can turn into a mess and our children can feel isolated and alone or disengaged. I want to help you, help them survive middle school.  I have two daughters and one is a freshman in highschool, the other is a sixth grader and I can tell you I was not prepared for girls in middle school and my eldest barely survived it.  I have moms who ask me how to survive it and this whole series is my take on what you can do to help you kids survive middle school. There are three questions I ask my girls everyday when they get in the car.  1. How was your day? 2. Who did you sit with at lunch? 3. Who is dead to us?  T